December 16, 2008

Yum....






Suzanne, our neighbor across the street has been telling me about the fabulous food markets in the area. There's everything from the Kosher store, Portuguese fish market, the Italian market and more. Today she took another newbie (and American) and myself to the Lebanese market. Holy Cow (or lamb).  It was the most amazing market ever -- if you're into anything Greek and Lebanese. There's a special huge section just for olives, spices and nuts. Pitas hot from the oven. Yum! It was incredible -- and I might add much more economical than the standard grocery stores. Suzanne then took us to an even larger indoor market with a specialty cheese shop, bakeries, sushi, sausage, wine -- you name it. It sort of reminded me of Pikes Place market in Seattle. I learned about the Montreal Bagel -- supposedly the best in North America. I know, everyone says they have the best bagel. It's sort of like how every city claims to have the biggest St. Patrick's parade -- but I'm telling you -- these bagels are something. They are hand formed, dipped in water laced with honey, rolled in seeds and then baked in a fire stove. I'm thinking the Pisani family will be frequent visitors to these new establishments.

Our next field trip is to Little Italy to discover the Italian markets!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...